File System Startup

We have NetBSD 1.5.2 running on an embedded system with a RAM disk.  We gzip the ramdisk in flash then gunzip it to ram.  The issue is that the embedded system needs to get to a state quickly to service interrupts etc. and the gunzip is a lengthy process.  We want to move the gunzip to the point after all the devices are initialized and interrupts are enabled. I have tried moving it but I get the prompts asking where to mount things.   The file systems are started early in main (init_main.c), but they appear not to be used till start_init (init_main.c).

Is it possible to move all the file system startup code to a point after the device drivers are setup and interrupts enabled, or would this break a fundamental operating assumption for NetBSD?

Thx,

kyle