Subject: Re: visiting australia - want advise
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@NetBSD.org>
List: regional-au
Date: 10/13/2005 09:52:53
--cseAwlqrBzmhRTxO

On Wednesday, 12 October 2005 at 16:29:55 +0200, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> Hi -
> I'll attend a conference (neutron scattering) in Sydney
> from november 27 to december 2, and do some travelling
> afterwards, till january 20.
> The coarse plan so far is to take a rental car and go from
> Sydney to Melbourne/Adelaide along the coast during
> december,

Make sure to find time to come to the Adelaide Hackers' Barbecue on 26
December! (Others are invited too, of course).  I'll send details out
probably some time next month.

> perhaps visit ayers rock (tourist's obligation:-) if some time is
> left.

Don't drive there.  It's about 1300 km from the nearest city, and the
roads are boring.

> Beginning of january I'd take a flight or train to Perth and spend
> the rest of the time around there.

While there's nothing wrong with Perth (apart from being one of the
most isolated cities in the world), there's probably more to be seen
in the South and East than this division would suggest.

> What do insiders think about that plan? Would you recommend to do a
> trip to tasmania and/or cangoroo island?

Kangaroo island is worthwhile, especially if you're coming to Adelaide
anyway.  I can't comment on Tasmania.  A lot depends on what you're
looking for.

> Is there a good source for spotaneous (and inexpensive) domestic
> flights, or should I book in advance?

Air travel is more common here than in Germany, and if you're not
fussy about the exact time of the flight, you can often get a good
deal.  Round Christmas is not  a good time, of course.  Take a look at
http://www.virginblue.com.au/ and http://www.qantas.com.au/.  Note
that the fare conditions often mean that if you miss the flight, your
ticket is gone: no refund.

Note that planes may be cheaper than trains from the East to Perth.

Greg

--cseAwlqrBzmhRTxO

--cseAwlqrBzmhRTxO--