Re: Xen and Raidframe

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
One apparent option, for the production DOMUs, is to have matching
partitions on each hard drive, and have the DOMUs do RAID themselves.  A
second is to use a large DOM0 partition, with RAID, and assign a DOMu a
file in that partition.  This strikes me as slower, but adequate for
light-load and experimental servers.

I use the second option right now on my NetBSD dom0s it works just fine on NetBSD. I wouldn't use files if my Dom0 was anything but NetBSD... the file-backed vbd stuff is supposed to be pretty slow on Linux- someone did a benchmark back in the Xen 2.0 days and the difference between NetBSD and Linux was radical.

I will likely be moving to option 1 in the future, as linux software raid sucks, and I have Linux Dom0s now- also I want live migration to work and that doesn't work if you do raid in the dom0