Re: Mopd which works with ELF and a.out in Linux and can netboot ULTRIX

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 07:50:23PM -0500, Paul Koning wrote:

> > On Dec 11, 2020, at 1:40 PM, Nigel Johnson <nw.johnson%ieee.org@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks to Boris's help below, I now have it booting up to a point.  Wireshark shows 7594 packets to and from the microvax.
> >
> > I had previously tried all the config files setting suggestions to get NFS to support V2, but found this little gem that solved the problem:
> >
> > rpc.nfsd 0 && sleep 1           # Stop all previous threads
> > rpc.nfsd --nfs-version 2,3 8    # Restart 8 threads with versions 2 and 3
>
> I haven't tried these particular things, but recently I was doing some
> work with the Linux NFS server and found that it supports NFS V2 out
> of the box.  In fact, that is the default support; V3 and V4 are both
> optional, interestingly enough.  However, V2 is not enabled by default.

It gets worse. Official word from Redhat is that v2 is no longer officially
supported and tested for, with v4 being the default. Although v2 support
is unlikely to suddenly disappear/break, to be honest.

>  A setting in the [nsfd] section of /etc/nfs.conf takes care of that:
>
> [nfsd]
> vers2=y

Please mention which distribution this is, because not all Linux
distributions are the same and things like config files can be very
different.

E.g. for Debian, the setting would be in
/etc/default/nfs-kernel-server and the value:
RPCNFSDOPTS="--nfs-version 2,3,4"
to enable NFS versions 2,3,4.

> This is also where you can enable NFS over UDP (which also defaults to off).

> I verified the V2 support by asking my Mac to mount a Linux NFS volume using V2.  Yes, Mac OS supports V2 in its client, to my great surprise.  Wireshark confirms that it really is using V2.
>
> All this is with a shiny new Linux kernel, 5.8.16, the one that comes with Fedora Core 32.

Ah, Redhat then.

Kind regards,
          Alex.

 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison