Re: Anyone running -current?

On Wed, 2013-05-29 13:08:45 +0200, Martin Husemann
<martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:
> So here are, finaly, the details of the story:
>
> Newer gcc has this in config/elfos.h:
[...]
> Basically this means that gcc 4.1 is not able to use symbols with non default
> visibility - which is a pain, as we use it besides the case at hand also
> for ld.elf_so (at least).

And there's another thing to mention: Regarding ELF linkage and
symbol visibility, Maciej W. Rozycki has a number of patches in the
queue for binutils, there *are* real bugs there. Though I haven't
reviewed all patches, they look good on the first view.

Other than that, when I tried to build binutils and gcc HEAD, I
couldn't run gcc, probably due to exactly your mentioned symbol
visibility problems? The result was IIRC that the gcc wrapper worked,
but couldn't exec() the parts, which I tracked down to problems with
the dynamic linker. (Though I didn't finish that, so I don't know the
exact cause.)  And this was, I think, with -current...

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw%lug-owl.de@localhost
+49-172-7608481