Re: NetBSD/vax performance (Was: /etc/disktab on vax)

On 2012-07-03 17:06, David Brownlee wrote:
On 3 July 2012 15:43, Johnny Billquist <bqt%update.uu.se@localhost> wrote:

Kernel size isn't the problem. I have a 4000/90 with 128MB of memory, and it
makes no difference... It's become bog slow.
gcc in itself makes a difference when you are compiling, but I suspect the
biggest cost is additional code paths all over the kernel, such as kauth.
Same for userland, where you have pam. They are all rather heavy. I remember
when we switched from sendmail to postfix. Startup time for a VAX increased
from a few seconds to over a minute to just start the mail daemon...

OK, though what would help would be some useful benchmarks and then
like-for-like comparisons.
Maybe something like:

- pkgsrc/benchmarks/lmbench
- pkgsrc/benchmarks/bonnie++
- pkgsrc/benchmarks/ttcp (to & from fast host on same network)
- time to ssh localhost using public/private key authentication

Actually startup time may be a good metric for some specific tests -
say timing a NetBSD 1.6 system bootup from NetBSD banner to login
prompt, then repeating the test with a -2, -3, -4, -5 and -6 kernel
(but keeping everything else the same) to see how the kernel changes
have affected matters.

What benchmarks do you think make sense?

Something that measure the time for system calls? I think I've seen such things in the past, but I don't remember offhand right now.

        Johnny