Subject: Re: HOWTO: Install to local disk on a netbooted 4000/60?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/15/2004 14:23:50
Hello,

> Being new to NetBSD (but quite used to netbooting stuff in general), I
> just tried to install a VS4000/90A. The machine does have two HDDs,
> 2GB and 4GB. However, I just fail at booting it. I tried different
> "boot" files from the netboot subdirectories, but all of them fail to
> load (well, I think they properly load, but crash afterwards) with:

I had same funnies today ... i finally decided to stick with
1.5.something (1.5.3 ?) "boot" (first stage bootloader) as it worked for
me nicely so far. The odd thing however is that the setup which worked
just fine for 4000/60 installation with needed tweaks (new entry in
dhcpd.conf, new symlink with HW addr to "boot", new entry in
/etc/exports) didn't work for 4000/90A - DHCP got first query and
repleid with hostname but "boot" never sent the second query. Anyway, i
killed dhcpd and switched back to bootpd which worked just fine and
fetched the kernel without problems.

> -EZA0
> %VMB-F-SCBINT2, PC = 00000020, PSL = 00006611.
> ?06 HLT INST
>   PC= 0000172A PSL= 041F0000

I got something like that after playing with HD jumper settings ... i
enbaled <something> sync <something> and it resulted in funny behavior
(i installed NetBSD just fine but HD was not bootable afterwards, show
dev didn't display it anymore either) until i switched jumpers back in
more sane "default" configuration. Now it all Just Works(TM). Drive in
question is 4.3 GB IBM, i decided to make it just one big FS to test for
fsck oddity that was reported on the list a couple of times (no problems
so far with 1.6.1 & softdeps enabled).

I suggest you switch boot for 1.5.3 version (it's ~71 KB in size, newer
versions are ~65 KB). 1.6.2 kernel in installation.ram.gz refused to
mount root for me so i installed 1.6.1 for now.

Blaz Antonic
--
Hi! I'm a signature virus!
Copy me into your signature to help me spread!