Subject: booting NetBSD on 4000/600A or 700A
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/29/2003 17:57:53
Hi,

I have a pair of VAXen, a 4000/600 and a 400/700, on which I'd like to
install NetBSD. I'm trying to boot over the network.

I'm running mopd on Debian GNU/Linux; it seems pretty buggy but
occasionally the VAX (either of them) manages to transfer over the boot
image. I'm using the NetBSD-1.5.3 boot.mop currently. (I tried the 1.6
boot file without much luck, but that was possibly due to the mopd
problems.)

After the boot loader runs it successfully gets an IP address and mounts
the root over NFS. It starts loading the netbsd.gz file; I get a couple
of numbers, lots of spinning characters, and finally a HLT with PC =
8xxxxxxx. (Sorry, don't have the address in front of me.) Then it
restarts.

I read on www.netbsd.org that the 700 isn't supported yet and the 600 is
untested. Both of the VAXen fail to load in the same way. Does anyone
have any suggestions as to how I can proceed?

Once installed I hope to boot from internal disk instead of the network.

thanks,
Hamish