Subject: Instability problems
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/30/2003 10:56:58
Hello,

I was unpleasantly surprised yesterday and today when my VAX had crashed
three times. It always happens when i'm compiling something (this
"something" being fvwm in my case, but IIRC it crashed once during
kernel compile too).

I'm using two virtual terminals (telnet) to connect to my VAX as serial
console isn't always avaliable. I'm running kernel 1.6 on VS 3100/m38
with 16 MB of RAM and ~30 MB of swap. Yesterday i was also toying with
xdm so i attributed the crashes to xdm ... but that obbviously wasn't
it. The only thing out of the ordinary i'm using is samba package (set
up on network segment with Windows machine but not in use, it just
sends/recieves queries every now and then, according to tcpdump).

So ... hopw do you guys get those big compiles going when i have to
restart the system every few hours or so ? :) It ran for 1.5 hours today
before this crash (and worked fine all the time until i opened second
virtual terminal and went into source directory of fvwm where it crashed
after a brief pause). Yesterday it crashed once after shorter period of
time while running configure for rxvt in one window and configure for
fvwm in the other and for the second time after many hours (4 ?) while
compiling fvwm, running xdm (with PC as Xserver, running 2 rxvt windows,
one with top and clock along with that compile). Apparently this second
virtual terminal adds to the instability significantly but i have no
idea why. Does anybody else have similar problems ? I'm quite sure the
hardware is allright (i ran some compiles of similar size before and it
worked fine). I'm really surprised that machine could be brought down by
any program to crash to >>> prompt - i thought it's impossible unless
kernel does it deliberately ?!

BTW, unrelated question: does anybody happen to know whether it is
possible to have xdm start lbxproxy when it gets a new session started
so traffic would be encrypted ? Is it worth bothering at all on network
? (is compression more time consuming than sending of uncompressed
protocol is ?)

Blaz Antonic