Subject: KFQSA in Vax 4000/500 - I'm going to make a HOWTO
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/20/2002 19:43:39
This is mainly a question for Chuck McManis, or Michael Kukat,
but feel free to chime in.

I've finally scrounged up the cable I knew I had in the Vax Shed
somewhere that connects the KFQSA to a faceplate, and the big thick
50-pin cable that connects the faceplate to another DSSI connector
(such as on the front of the CPU plate).  I've tried to follow the
hints given by Michael and Chuck in earlier posts to this list,
but I'm not successful.

I installed the KFQSA in the card cage, installed the patch panel,
connected the cable from the patch panel to the "Bus 0" connector
on the patch panel for the CPU, crossed my fingers and turned on
the machine.  Doing a 'SHOW DEV' yields:

DSSI Bus 0 Node 4 (WOOLY)
  DIA0 (RF73)
DSSI Bus 0 Node 5 (SARTORIS)
  DIA1 (RF73)
DSSI Bus 0 Node 6 (CLOPPER)
  DIA3 (RF73)
DSSI Bus 0 Node 7 (*)
DSSI Bus 1 Node 7 (*)

UQSSP Disk Controller 0 (772150)
 -?
UQSSP Disk Controller 1 (760334)
 -?
UQSSP Disk Controller 2 (760340)
 -?
UQSSP Disk Controller 3 (760344)
 -?
UQSSP Disk Controller 4 (760350)
 -?
UQSSP Disk Controller 5 (760354)
 -?

So, it appears that the KFQSA is not seeing any drives.  Is it true
that, as Chuck says in one post, that I need to disconnect the CPU
from the DSSI Bus, or is it a matter of having two different IDs on
the Bus 0 and Bus 1. (In Michael's example, he had id 6 for the onboard
stuff, and ID 7 for the KFQSA. Would it be kosher for me just to
swap ID plugs between the 3rd drive and Bus 0?)  Also, is there
any danger of damaging the KFQSA or the CPU if I hook them up
incorrectly?

Doug