Subject: Re: Michael Sokolov Cooking: The Ultimate VAX
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Shengchao Li <lish@ee.eng.ohio-state.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/26/2002 20:15:30
The Chinese Computer Tech. Lab. once (in 2001) finished a CPU design that
is compatable with MIPS cpu with register rename, dynamic pipeline, out of
order execution... It was verified on FPGA with 4KB instruction cache, 4KB
data cahce, 48 entries TLB. The main bus on motherboard runs at 50MHz
and the FPGA runs at 12.5MHz. At 12.5 MHz the integer performance is like
a 25MHz 486 abd the floating point (IEEE745) performance is like a 50MHz
486. Overall performance is 1/6 of a 100MHz MIPS R4000.

Don't know how fast it will run if implemented as a ASIC CPU but you get
the idea how fast the FGPA VAX will probably run. And that was NOT a
single person project.

http://www.ict.ac.cn/xinwen/dt011014_1.htm  (not in English)