Subject: Re: 4gig HD limit on VAXstation 4000/60?
To: None <pgaray@towertechnology.com.au>
From: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/15/2002 09:09:00
> 1./ did you install the root partition under 1G limit? I think the 4000s do
> NOT have this limit - that came on some 3100 from the ROM using an old SCSI
> command to read the disk only allowing 1 Gig.

Nope

> 2./ Depending on how you connected it, it may be a termination issue

I think you have something here...I need to double check, but I may not have activated
termination on the drive (it's the only SCSI device on the bus in the box)

> 3./ SCSI is not always compatible with SCSI.... on many levels. Single
> ended, differential, low voltage differential, SCSI - I, II, III, There are
> controllers that insist on the cleanest square signals and perfect
> terminations required, some work happy unterminated if the cable is short
> enough...

Yes, now that you point out, that which should have been obvious to me, when I did a 'show
dev' at console, the drive would show up sometimes and other times not...

Many thanks for the sanity check....

jam