Subject: Re: About the QBus EIDE interface...
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/26/2002 11:30:39
>From: Cthulhu <cthulhu@flashnet.it>

>> There are already at least two companies making them.  The Ersatz-11
>> PDP-11 simulator from DBit supports them.  I think Charon does as well,
>
>Oh!
>I suppose they cost just a little too much...

Sadly yes.  The "nice" (i.e. it's possible to do DMA under Linux etc.) versions
of the logical-co.com Q-bus and Unibus PCI adapters are US$2575 each.

If someone ever builds a cheaper one I'd love to add support to E11 for it.

But these things are generally intended to go the other way from what you're
talking about, i.e. drive Q/Unibus peripherals from the PCI side.  Bit3 (now
part of SBS) used to make a board set which was more general-purpose (and
cost "only" US$1600ish) for communicating both ways between the Q- and PCI
busses, but they no longer make it.  Well, not too long ago they told me
they'd be willing to do one more run of them if someone bought tens of
thousands of dollars worth, but it's just not that great.  I was never able
to get mine to work reliably, even using Bit3's own sample code (E11 has
latent support for the Bit3 model 615 but it's never had a successful test).

John Wilson
D Bit