Subject: Re: Can a VS3100 be run headless?
To: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/21/2002 15:12:54
On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 02:20:27PM +0000, Chris Wareham wrote:

> The VS3100 has a single BNC sort of connector, so
> I'm assuming it's monochrome.
Yes.

> In which case, can
> I use a DEC VT terminal in place of the monitor?
In every case. On the back of the machine is a "S3" labled switch.
This switch selects framebuffer or serial console. The upper
position is serial console. (Or the lower? Just try.)
Pinout for the MMJ port should be at http://www.bsdfans.org/ and
http://anacin.nsc.vcu.edu/~jim/mvax/pinouts.html

> Failing that, can I run the VS3100 headless, and
> install NetBSD from a serial console or something
> like that?
Serial console is the usual way to use a VAX running NetBSD. :-)
--

tschüß,
         Jochen