Subject: Re: Vaxstation 4000/90
To: Tim Franklin <tim@pelican.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/04/2002 12:57:34
Its a fairly quick machine, _for a VAX_.

Given your comment about the M38, I have to wonder what it is you would get
out of owning a VAX? If you want something that is "alternate architecture"
but still moves along like an x86 box then I suggest you skip the VAX and
find yourself a nice Alpha machine. VAXen have a unique and hugely powerful
machine code, the ultimate expression of CISC if you will, and they are
available cheaply.
What they aren't is "fast" by nearly anyone's standard these days.

That being said, the 4000/90 (vs the 90a) is a reasonably fast for a VAX
and can take SCSI peripherals which is a plus. They don't suffer from the
1G boot drive limitation like the 3100's do. They take a non-standard DEC
memory that is fairly easy to find in 4MB chunks but less available in the
nicer 16MB chunks. A 32MB system (full memory of 4MB modules) is a fun VMS box.

If you want to play with the weird and wonderful Qbus cards then you'd need
to wait for a 4000/100 or some Qbus based VAX. Also note that you'll need
an AUI-10Bt tranceiver but you've probably already got one for your 3100/M38

--Chuck