Subject: Re: Netbsd on a vaxstation 3100
To: Keith <hk11@totalise.co.uk>
From: Anders Hogrelius <ahs@hogrelius.nu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/01/2002 16:06:49
On Tue, 1 Jan 2002, Keith wrote:

> What about a format under Linux? Can I then dd the image over? What format is
> netbsd?

There's no need to format the disk. Just dd boot.fs to the SCSI disk with
something like "dd if=boot.fs of=/dev/sdX bs=512", where X depends on
which device your SCSI disk is at. You should be able to boot the disk on
the VAX after that. If you have the options needed to read UFS
filesystems compiled in your linux kernel you should be able to mount the
disk and check that it's been written OK. Otherwise, just pop the disk
back in the VAX and try booting it with something like "BOOT DKA200"
depending on what SCSI ID the disk has.

> Would rawrite work to a SCSI drive under DOS in the same way it works to a
> floppy disc?

Nope, rawrite only works with floppies.

--
cheers,

/Anders

We have found all life forms in the galaxy are capable of superior
development.
		-- Kirk, "The Gamesters of Triskelion", stardate 3211.7

* Anders Hogrelius       Phone : +46 (0)70 6770210
* Tessingatan 12         E-mail: anders@hogrelius.nu
* SE-72216 Vasteras      Web:    http://www.hogrelius.nu/~ahs/
* SWEDEN