Subject: Re: VAXstation 2000: the lost weekend
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Russell Pavlicek <rcpavlicek@yahoo.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/10/2001 21:04:36
--- Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:
> On 2001.12.10 04:53 Russell Pavlicek wrote:
>
> > (1) The boot kernel does not recognize the RD5x
> disks
> > in the VS2000.
> The support fo the MFM controller in the VS2k and
> some VS3100 is often
> broken. And, be honest, you really want to mount a
> SCSI disk in that
> box. Unfortunately this means that you have to load
> the kernel via
> network and than you can mount a local root-fs. (If
> you have an EPROM
> burner you can patch the boot ROMs to get SCSI boot
> support.
> Unfortunately the NetBSD bootloader does not support
> the VS2k SCSI
> adapter.)

Today, I finally figured out how to cobble together a
pseudo-installation directory tree with generic kernel
NFS-served by my Linux box.  I can now use sysinst on
my MFM drive (once I isolate the darn bad blocks that
populate the RD54).

> > Something should be said somewhere that there is
> no X server.
> This is well knowen to the members of this list, so
> no need to write it
> down. ;-)
> I know that there is somewhere a more or less
> working Xserver for the
> mono graphics of VAXstations. Unfortunately I don't
> know more about
> that.

If anyone has a pointer, I'd love to hear it.  As time
allows, I could try to help debugging.

> > (3) disklabel acts like it writes the partition
> table
> > when you do a "W", but when you quit and re-enter,
> > nothing has changed.
> Did you use the "-r" option? Did you wrote an
> initial disklabel to the
> disk?
> Somthing like
> disklabel sd0 > dl
> disklabel -r -R sd0 dl
> disklabel -r -i sd0
> disklabel -B sd0
> should do the job.

I finally figured that out this morning, thanks.

Thanks for the info.

-- Russ Pavlicek