Subject: Re: NuVAX revisited
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/27/2001 09:11:54
On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Brian Chase wrote:

> > You might consider something like CompactFlash, SmartMedia, or MicroDrive
> > devices.  I've seen CompactFlash devices with as much as 512MB storage
> > capacity, SmartMedia of around 128MB, and IBM has a 1GB MicroDrive.
>
> Cpacity is not an issue. Are you not aware that the front end for the
> 11/780 has an RX02, which means 256 KByte...

Yeah, I know.  I'm just overly amazed at how much storage capacity can
packed into such tiny devices.  The SmartMedia cards are "wafer thin", and
thus somewhat resemble very tiny floppy disk.

But imagine being able to plug in different CompactFlash cards or
MicroDrives as system drives in order to change the personality of your
VAX?  You've got the VMS card, the NetBSD/vax card, the 4.3BSD card--each
with a full system installed.

The scale model is a very interesting idea.  My dream would be having a
VAX based PDA with wireless ethernet.

-brian.