Subject: Help with Boot Tape and Writing with VMS
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Norm Dressler <ndressler@dinmar.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/15/2001 11:48:38
Hi,

I have a MicroVax 3100-80 with a TZ30 tape and an extabyte 8mm tape.

I currently have VMS installed on the system and don't have access to
another tz30 on another OS.  It does not have a floppy.

I downloaded the boot.fs.gz file from the netBSD1.4.3 version because there
wasn't one in the installation directory for 1.5 on ftp.netbsd.org.  I
gunzipped it on a linux machine, ftp'd it to an alpha box running vms,
copied it over to my Microvax.

I then did this:

initialize dka500: ""
mount/foreign/block=512 dka500:
copy boot.fs dka500:
dismount/unload dka500:

All this worked great.  When I restarted the machine and did a boot dka500
from the console, the tape drive whirls for a while but it eventually comes
back with and endoffile error.

What did I do wrong?

Norm