Subject: Re: IPNat/IPFilter on VAX
To: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/07/2001 14:22:04
On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:
> David Brownlee wrote:

> >         Have just added ipfilter (enabled) , and a bunch of (commented out)
> >         network options to -current vax GENERIC config.
> >
> >         Does anyone know of any reason why ipfilter should not be enabled
> >         by default for 1.5.1 GENERIC?
>
> Bloat?
>
> Don't get me wrong - I am indeed using IPFilter, need it for several
> machines at different sites, and am very happy that it's going to be
> listed (at all) in the GENERIC config. However, will most people need
> it? Probably not. For them it's just extra code to slow thier
> machines.

I don't think it's unreasonable for GENERIC to have this.  However, I do
think we need some other install images which are better optimized for
smaller machines.  See the boot-tiny.fs and boot-small.fs images for the
i386 port, and their associated TINY and SMALL kernel config files.

David created some similar images for the NetBSD/vax 1.4.1 release, but
the source modifications for their creation didn't get carried into future
releases.  In general, the GENERIC image is fairly bloated and should run
on most fairly well equipped VAXen without choking them.

I still don't have any VAXen up on 1.5 yet.  I'd be happy to work on
adding this stuff in for 1.5.1, but I think that release will happen
before I can get my stuff organized enough.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
Has anyone else had any bad experiences with Mr. Vader or his Empire? -- K.