Subject: Re: It lives!
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/12/2001 20:14:37
On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Chuck McManis wrote:

> At 04:28 PM 1/12/2001 -0500, Robert F Schaefer wrote:
>
> >?? C?? CRPT - Corrupt bit is set
> >
> >until I hold down the reset button.  I get:
> >
> >?? CRPT - Reenter bit clr
>
> Interesting, I've not seen that before.

It's a show-stopper, too.  I can't boot unattended at all, but I haven't
tried to set the boot device yet either.  I don't want to get stuck
somewhere if I'm not sure how to get back!

> >?? 001   2     LCSPX  0512
> >
> >?02 EXT HLT
> >   PC= 2005CD81 PSL= 041F0000
>

> That says you don't have a monitor hooked up to it. EXT HLT is typically
> that the system has seen a 'break' signal.

If I had stopped to look at it for more than a second, I would have
recognized LCSPX.

> loose wires or a flaky console connection. Maker sure you don't have any
> dirt and dust wedged in the MMJ hole.

It's repeatable, so I'm not positive line noise will explain it.  But, if
you knew how many solder joints are in that RJ45 <-> DB9 adapter, or got a
good look at the routing of the serial cable... ^_^

> >    VAX/VMS Version V5.5-2   Major version id = 1 Minor version id = 0
>
> When you type you don't weird characters right?

Nope.  Looks fine, as near as I can tell.  No high-bit stuff, everything
echos ok.

> >     9          NI    ?? 001 0048
>
> That is your "Network Interface" (aka the ethernet connector on the back)
> Either it isn't hooked up or your MAU isn't providing carrier to the
> interface. (Putting an ethernet loopback or a 10BT tranciever on this will
> cure it)

I might have figured this one out too, given enough time to stare at it.
There is no ethernet attached yet, and I even 'member thinking to myself
to expect an error somewhere.  The fact that it went away must have
confused me.

> Two things:
>          1) If you have managed to log in as SYSTEM you should preserve the
>             licenses before you blow it away, that way you can re-install VMS
>             later and have it still work. Contact me off list for the license
>             preservation procedure (it isn't secret, just lengthy)

Ok.  Logged in as `SYSTEM' right off the bat, and it took ok.  At first I
was a little confused, but I figured that it didn't ask for a password
'vcause I was on the console.  Right?  And I only want to use the second
disk for NetBSD-- VMS is just too neat to kill entirely.

>          2) The VMS system has a _wonderful_ help system, nearly the whole
> wall of
>             books seems to be hidden in there. HELP will get you started.

Yah, I checked that out first thing.  It *is* a big improvement from `man
intro', but I was a little disappointed.  I couldn't seem to find out how
to get a directory of a different mount point, or whatever I needed to do
to see what was on that other RZ25.  I'll give it another shot now, armed
with [000000...], we'll see if that will help!

> >Thanks again for all your help, Chuck!
>
> You now have to pay off your debt by helping two more people, that way one
> act of help gets to everyone in the whole world in 33 iterations. :-)

Any chance I get!

> --Chuck

Bob