Subject: RE: Need help with DILOG DQ-132 Tape formatter.
To: 'Nigel Johnson' <nw.johnson@ieee.org>
From: Andrew Sporner <andy.sporner@networkengines.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/12/2000 09:38:39
Hi Nigel,

> Hi Andy. I believe I was the one who traded you the DQ132, so
> many moons ago.  I would try to set up a test bed here to help you, but
the tape
> drive attached to the other DQ132 that I had died and went to  a friend's
> basement for storage.

Yup!  that is correct.  I appreciate any help in advance!

> However, just a few thoughts.  A friend of mine who went to med school
> told me that physicians are taught that if a patient has many obtuse
> symptoms but one obvious one, to treat the obvious one first.
> Here the obvious one is the fact that the TQK70 disappears when you put in
the
> DQ132. This surprises me because there are no  mutually-exclusive config
> floating. So there must be something wrong with grant propagation (or
> PSU overloading).  I don't think that parity errors is the real problem
> but perhaps a red herring.

I agree, but I set up a configuration with ONLY the DILOG board in the
machine with the same results.

OK.

> Don't forget that the DQ132, being a quad board, has to have the grant
> propagation jumpers installed beside the CD slots if it is
> plugged into
> a CD with live Qbus there. If the grant is coming down the right side
> via the CD from the board above, it needs the grant jumpers
> in before it
> can reach the arbitration logic on the AB side.

The grant is OK.  Here is the layout of the machine.  It is a BA123 cage

Slot 1 has the KA-650
Slot 2 has a memory card
Slot 3 has a memory Card
Slot 4 has grant cards
Slot 5 has the DQ-132
Slot 6 ASYNC MUX (AB)  SCSI (CD)
Slot 7 TKQ70 (AB) DELQA (CD)

I am booting the scsi disk and bringing up VMS.  I see everything on 'show
dev'
except the TKQ70.  I am using long ribbon cables (SCSI) to connect to the
tape
drive (had used home-made ones--wanted to rule them out) and I still get
fatal
drive errors after trying 'init msa0: foobar'.  THe tape spins back and
forth
a few times and then the error.

I can mount the tape fine as /for.  When I dismount msa0:  the tape unloads
as
expected.

So Now I am curious...  What is this???