Subject: Re: about VAXstation performance
To: Eric Smith <eric@brouhaha.com>
From: hg/jb <shsrms@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/27/2000 22:19:53
Hey Eric!
MIP is my typo for mips, not to be confused with the risc processor
made by SGI.  Yep, KL was aviable before 780.  I was being snide in my
comment, in that the 780 VUP measure was intended to establish
a new measure, the vax unit of perf because everyone was twisting
the meaning of MIPS.  If you did the math with a 6502@4MHZ or a Z80@4MHZ
you could stretch the definition of MIPS so that each of those
achieved a demonstrable 1MIPS rate.  Lots of folks started doing
some funky math that allowed them to say that their machine was a
1MIPS or more box based on cycle time, and that was challenged so that
the definition was refined to be more accurate.  Using the funky math,
we designed a 10MIPS pdp8 in 1978...we did not build it....

bob