Subject: "supported"
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/13/2000 08:29:40

At 03:18 PM 5/8/00 -0400, Jon Lindgren wrote:
>The stuff Michael worked on works _excellently_ for my 4000/200s.

Re-reading this thread (I just got home so I had to re-fetch all my mail)
it occurred to me that we need a new term, especially for helping newbies
on this list. When I say something is "supported" by NetBSD then I'm
saying, "It is supported by the currently official release of NetBSD" which
happens to be 1.4.2. If I say "You can make NetBSD work on that." then it
means that jumping through the hoops necessary to get a -current kernel and
userland on your system will probably result in a working system.

Neither of these say anything about whether or not someone is actively (and
effectively) trying to make it work on a particular platform.

So I never intend any slight or offense when I say it isn't "supported" I
just mean that it will won't be an "out of the box" sort of experience for
getting things running.

--Chuck