Subject: Re: (Micro)VAX 4000/200 bootblocks
To: Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/07/2000 16:59:33
Marc Schneiders wrote:

> As in my situation it was the easiest way, I installed 'manually' the
> latest snapshot (19991115 IIRC), after netbooting my 'new' VAX (dmesg
> below) and using the kernel for ka660 up for download at
> www.vaxpower.de/download/.

Actually there are much later snap shots, one from april of 2000. See
ftp://ftp.neurotica.com/pub/os/NetBSD/vax/1.4x-24APR00/

> Netbooting and installing works alright. I do not seem to be able to
> get bootblocks written to the disk though. Well none that work.

What kind of disk controller are you using in this system? Since the on
board DSSI controller isn't supported and you've got at least and RQDX3
in there, what was the other controller, is it SCSI per chance? There is
a weird interaction with SCSI in some of the intermediate snapshots that
have this behaviour (the boot starts but never prints the Netbsd prompt)
In the archives there is a message from someone that used an older copy
of boot to fix it. There is a new xxboot in the latest snapshot so that
might fix it as well.

--Chuck