Subject: Re: Anyone got a recent current snapshot?
To: Peter Joules <peter@joules0.demon.co.uk>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/22/2000 17:29:52
Peter Joules wrote:

> I had assumed that, when a patch was posted to the port specific list as
> you did with yours, someone would pick it up and apply it.  Clearly this
> was a simplistic view.  Can anyone on the list, either let me know when
> I can reasonably expect to be able to download a kernel incorporating
> the patch or tell me how to compile my own?

	Like Ragge said, it hasn't been tested/gone over yet, don't plan
on seeing anything in -current for a while and it'll be lucky to make
1.5
if it works properly. Applying the patch to your local tree should be
relatively easy.

> From what I gather from an earlier reply there is no specific kernel
> source tree as there is with Linux.  Do I need to download the entire
> source tree and run a make on it?  Is there a configuration utility like
> Linux's 'menuconfig'?  If not how does one specify which architecture
> one is compiling for?

	It is neither of the above, follow the documentation link from the
netbsd homepage to "kernel" to get the full info. The docs are pretty
good,
you just need to apply the patch before you get to make depend. (I don't
have the patch handy to point you to the right dir, nor do I have any
RZ56's)
	It took my 3100/m30 (KA42 w 20MB/RAM, RZ25L under DMA SCSI kernel)
about 5.5 hours to build GENERIC. Let the list know if it works.

	Chris