Subject: RE: On the subject of postings
To: 'Andrew Gillham' <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Andy Sporner <andy.sporner@networkengines.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/08/2000 14:59:15
In the interest of keeping the air clear, please email
anything about this to me or let's create an architecture
neutral list where this can be discussed (IE: BSD-CLUSTERS)
so that nerves don't get pinched.... :-)

Andy

PS.

> The project notes are a bit skimpy on details.

I am going to create a website for this to track details
I already have a volunteer and could use more.

> Is your "Phase I" to implement a load-balancer like the Cisco
> LocalDirector,or the Linux-based LinuxDirector (name ripoff)?

It's already done, just hasn't been vax-ported because I have
a flaky drive that keeps causing the machine to panic when
I get to a bad part on the disk.  NetBSD 1.4F

> The bit about "reverse proxy server" sounds like a Squid
> web-accelerator type thing, but is it really?

No.  currently it is set up connection forwarder so that it
masquerades as a webserver listening on the actual port one
would expect but is actually making real connections behind
the scenes to the real server and acting as an intermediary--
sort of the kind of thing that rinetd does, but with a little
more smarts.  I really would like to leverage a kernel level
scheduler instead of this...  It is a real performance impact.
But not as bad as you would expect though.  It tops out about
about 300 hits/sec on an architecture that's a dirty  word
here ;-)

> I only have a single VAX (VS3100/M38), so clustering that
> requires like
> architectures won't work there.  Now I do have plenty of i386
> boxes though.
> :-)

Welcome to my problem... :-|