Subject: Re: HA4000 Transceivers: How do they work?
To: None <port-vax@netBSD.org>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/28/2000 21:20:52
<> <I picked up a couple of HA4000's recently, having only seen them
<>
<> It's for thick eithernet cable and the sortest recommended segment of it
<> would be 25 meters.  You will also need a special tool to drill the cabl
<> so the spike doesn't short the center conductor to the shield.
<>
<> Allison
<
<Not sure about the special tool, if you look at the old style
<transceivers, you find that the sharp pin is insulated right up to the

For the H4000 you need the tool.  I cut my eitherteeth on h4000s and
thickwire in ML3.  I think the later H4005 was far easier to install.

<least, that worked for me. Most of the cable i've seen was double
<screened (2 screen braids insulated from each other) and was yellow, but

Yep actually a sorta orangish yellow.

<have also used RG8/U in the past. Would think any 50r cable of the right
<diameter would work...

Rg8/U or better RG8/AU would work but both are lossier than the spec'ed
wire and tends to radiate a tiny bit.

Allison