Subject: Re: HA4000 Transceivers: How do they work?
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: None <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/28/2000 08:49:56
On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

>> On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 07:12:20PM -0500, Allison J Parent wrote:
>> It's for thick eithernet cable and the shortest recommended segment of
>>it  would be 25 meters.  You will also need a special tool to drill
>> the cable  so the spike doesn't short the center conductor to the
>> shield.
>
> Thought there are predefined spots on the Yellow Cable without shielding
> where the needle would be pinned...

That's all it is a mark, as the transceivers have to be sapced a minimum
of 5M apart.  You still have to make an entry hole.  Also Like I said the
segment must be a minimum of 25M or it doesn't work.

In the old days behind the racks of small computer rooms if you needed to
connect multiple systems you'd have a roll of thick cable. It would be a
75ft roll with up to 5 transcievers on it.  Of course a DELNI was a lot
smaller.

Allison