Subject: Re: VAXstation II/RC + [OT] PDP bus question
To: Greg Ingram <ingram@symsys.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/21/2000 16:25:38
> I installed NetBSD on my VS II/RC via the network.  Does yours have DEQNA?
> If so, you'll probably need a 10baseT transceiver.  I paid around $30 for
> mine.  It was kind of complicated to get bootpd, bootparamd, dhcpd, etc.
> set up but the netbooting FAQ is pretty good.  Best clue:  Use the
> debugging options was watch the logs on another console.

I will be digging into it this weekend.  I still have some dongles  and
cables from the ethernet on a VS3500 that blew up, so maybe the netboot
will work.   All my junk around here floats on thinnet, and I usually
try to keep a transceiver or two spare.

Is the monitor a standard VRT-262 kind of mono thing?  That is what I
would be expecting for that vintage machine.   OR, is it something else
strangely DECish?  Keyboard a standard LK201 thing?

> I had some problems getting the disk partitioned.  I had to edit the
> disklabel outside the normal setup routine, but then I was able to restart
> the setup and continue with the installation.

Anyone know exactly what the Imprimis 94196-766 drive is?

Bob

> ps:  Anybody listening: are the later model PDP-11's Qbus?  If so, can I
> build one in a BA23 enclosure?  If so, Bob, where are you?  I've got a
> PDP-11 whose power supply cratered.  The DEC resale shop here in Houston
> wants WAY too much for parts and I don't know anything about fixing it
> myself.  But I'd love to have the old beast run again someday.  Thanks.

I'm in Raleigh, NC.  Shipping would be a killer.

I also got a Masscomp 5400 machine.  I dunno what it is, yet, but I have
a sneaking suspicion it is roughly equivalent to the PDP-11 minc things.
It has a double height card cage in it, but I can't get to the cpu yet.
I was hoping it would be a PDP-11, so I could try a PDP-11 for real,
myself, instead of running an emulator.  V7, here we go!

(:+}}...

I probably won't do much with the VS II/RC, except clean it up and
see what is there.   My VS3100's are much nicer and smaller.  So,
hit me up in a week or two, and I will probably float it out the door.
You bringum semitruckum an' trailerum.... (:+}}...

I had a PDP-11 power supply a couple of years back, but it is no more.