Subject: Re: sysinst program / procedure / whadeva
To: ville hautakangas <vhautaka@cs.helsinki.fi>
From: Anders Hogrelius SdU <elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/06/2000 14:19:53
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, ville hautakangas wrote:
> Somebody said the 1.3something edlabel would work? So if I dd'd the 1.3
> bootfs into a hard drive, it could do the labelling and formatting (if
> there's a formatting tool in the bootfs package)?

Nope, it won't work. I could successfully put a disklabel on the RZ23,
but it was impossible to newfs it. I even tried making a vnd image with
the same size as the RZ23, newfs the slices and dd the whole caboodle on
to the disk. The only thing that happened was that the disk acted exactly
the same with dd as with newfs. First some strange screetching sounds,
the disk spins down, and then restarts.
Plus, of course, a whole screenful of errormessages... :-/
From what i remember the disk complains of invalid commands, which would
suggest either the scsi or the sd driver is buggy.

--
cheers,

/Anders

"Let the future tell the truth and evaluate each one according
to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs, the
future, for which I really worked, is mine."
(Nikola Tesla, 1856-1943)

* Anders Hogrelius SdU   Phone : +46 21 381860
* Tessingatan 12         E-mail: elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se
* 72216 Vasteras