Subject: Re: I need specs ASAP :-(
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Varga Akos <hamster@telnet.hu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/01/1998 09:41:13
> > For its historical value :) And getting a SCSI controller for a TPA1148
> > (hungarian PDP-11/40 clone with upgraded components) would be somwhat
> > hard too ;-)
>
> As long as it's Unibus based it shouldn't be a problem.  The bad part
> being that the cost of a Unibus MSCP to SCSI disk controller is quite
> high.  Even used ones can cost many hundreds of US$.

Okay, it's "sort of" UNIBUS-based: the bus is called UBUS and has
different connecting edges, but said to be compatble with the
UNIBUS, so that would not be a problem. But who needs SCSI disks
on a machine like this? :) I saw MFM HDs working in a SM1 (russian
HP2xxx clone, with frontpanel and everything) system, it's so
sad to see all those racks empty ;-) For the costs... if someone gives
me a SCSI controller for free, I'm going to accept it, but somehow
I don't think it's very likely to happen...

> Historical reasons are good ones though :-)

One of the bests, yes... :)

 /__//__///_///__   /  /_   /  )  Varga Akos Endre   hamster@telnet.hu
/  //  //   /___/  /  /__  /  (    www.netweb.hu/hamster/english.html