Subject: Re: rzspin-Utility anyone ?
To: None <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/19/1998 22:33:19
> From port-vax-owner-clowenst=ucsd.edu@netbsd.org Wed Aug 19 22:03 PDT 1998
> Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 22:03:50 -0700 (PST)
> From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
>
> On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Marc Gutschner wrote:
>
> > Since it may take some time for the SCSI-code on the VAXstations to be
> > fixed I thought of putting this big and hairy (:-)) RZ55 to good use on
> > my HP9000/375. Since the RZ55 won't spin up by it self this seems
> > impossible. I remember some mysterious chantings (:-)) about an utility
> > called "rzspin" or "rzspinup" that will modify some values in the SCSI
> > mode pages to allow the drive to spin-up on power-on. My searches using
> > Archie or Altavista came up with just one site that had something like
> > that - but that site won't allow anonymous ftp :-(
>
> I think many (most?) SCSI drives have a jumper which can be used to select
> spin-up upon powering them on.  I'm not sure if the RZ55 matches to some
> other manufacturer's drive (maybe Seagate?).  But if it does, and you can
> find out which one it is, then you may be able to track down which jumper
> needs to be set to cause the drive to spin up when it's powered on.

Yeah but --  The RZ55 seems to be one of the exceptions.  It can be
made to spin up on power-on only by rewriting a bit in a mode page.  A
dejanews search in comp.periphs.scsi on the subject of "rz55 spinup" or
maybe "rz55 jumpers" will yield a lot of noise and a few useful
signals.  Instantaneously I can't find my reference back to the
appropriate item.

    carl
---
        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu
                                                  clowenstein@ucsd.edu