Subject: Re: KA630 ROM routine console I/O support in boot and standalone tools
To: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/14/1998 14:20:18
David Evans wrote:

>   Any chance that we could have a boot flag defined that would use the
> serial console even if graphics hardware is installed?  Would make life

Well, you already have the mechanism that I mentioned for boot:  just
send a break down the console line and the KA630 ROM will switch to the
serial console.  This will work for boot and the other standalone
stuff.  There's got to be a flag in console meemory for this and the
kernel can just use that to check (but that's not implemented yet).

OTOH, if you want a separate mechanism, I suppose that can be done too.
When somebody tells me what bit can be used for this I can probably add
the necessary code.  Of course then the ROM console I/O still goes to
the graphics hardware and that might be a bit annoying.

> easier if you don't want to hook up more monitors.

Ah yes, more monitors... my VR299 is already taking up space that I need
for other things.

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |