Subject: Re: Precompiled vax packages anyone?
To: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Andy Sporner <asporner@eagle.ibc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/23/1998 12:14:04
Boris Gjenero wrote:

> Unfortunately, NetBSD continues the tradition of bloat.  /bin/cat is 33k
> (yes, stripped!).  With gzip -9 it's down to 19k, so that means it
> actually contains data and not holes and/or large blocks of zeros.

Though I would rather not add more fuel to this already long thread, I
cannothelp but wonder if this is something for the "Retro-computing" thread.
I bought a 16MB memory board for my 3500 for $100 and an 800MB
dssi drive for the same.  SCSI disks are even cheaper by the MB.

The advantage of a shared library really is that making changes to it,
does not require everything else depending on it to be rebuild, rather
than the memory, disk, though this savings is not insignificant.  The
machines that I write infrastructure code for serve Walgreen's nationwide
pharmacy (2500 stores) transaction processing needs.  There are
five machines with 1GB of ram and 8 procs each (not to mention the 4 oracle
servers that have 18 processors each .8 TB disk).  We are looking
forward to be able to compile our applications to use shared libraries!

Andy