Subject: Re: How many drives are in your uVaxII world?
To: Megan <mbg@world.std.com>
From: Tim Shoppa <shoppa@alph01.triumf.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/18/1997 09:27:58
> ><> In the interest of keeping this message short: Does anybody know any
> ><> reason why more than one RD31 (20M Seagate drives) won't work in a
> >>BA23
>
> ><If I recall correctly, you can only put one hard driver in a BA23.
> ><That's all, no more.
>
> >Not true,  I've been running an rd54 and an rd53 for years.  also I've
> >put a pair of RD52s in and a RX33 (laying on top).  I suspect that the
> >RD31 is not recognized.
>
> And I have an RD54, RD33 and RX33 in one BA23.  It works fine.  I did
> find out, through trial and error, that it only worked (for me) if I
> had the 6-switch ba23 front panel.  The four-switch panel never worked
> for me (although it apparently did for others).

That's because it depends on the rev level of the front panel.  With
some revisions of the four-switch panel, you can't read or write the
second drive; others allow you to read but not write the second drive;
and the latest ones allow you to do both read and write.  I believe the
only "official" solution is to go to a six-switch front panel.

For a while, Trimarchi was selling some special cables that got around
the problem with early-rev 4-switch front panels.

Also, please remember that with the BA23 breakout board, the first hard
disk is to be jumpered at DS3 and the second at DS4, regardless of the
front panel type or revision.  This is different than BA123-type
breakout boards.

Tim. (shoppa@triumf.ca)