Subject: Re: 1.2G is my friend.
From: Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/27/1997 15:20:46
To answer several questions:

- Yes, a generic kernel should run on any of the NetBSD supported VAXen.

- No, you can't just dd the kernel to I floppy (well I haven't actually
  tried it, but I think you need a bootloader in there somewhere).

- If you've got a VS2000, you should really try netbooting NetBSD/vax on
  it as opposed to using the floppy drive.  Netboot is the only way to go,
  but then again I'm biased.

--

Yow! The responses I've gotten about making a snapshot available of 1.2G
have been fairly overwhelming.

I guess I need to get on this one.  I've already begun the `make build'
under 1.2G and it's going MUCH better now that I doing in on a more up to
date system.  It should be done in a few days barring disater.  Also, this
is just going to be a simple collection of tars from my running system --
I'll do my best to reconstruct the files to be organized simillarly to the
official snapshots, but no promises.

To say it one more time: no boot/install images as I don't know how
assemble them, just the kernel. I'll include a GENERIC kernel and toss in
Bertram's VS2K/3100 kernel as well.

--

Installing should be a real no-brainer for people with netbooted systems.
Just untar the archives on your NFS server, and boot using the new

-brian.
Brian D. Chase         Systems Coordinator        brian.chase@carpediem.com
-- Compression, Inc. - 13765 Alton Pkwy, Suite B - Irvine, CA 92618, USA --