Subject: Re: The FAQ (was: RE: Netscape 4.0b2)
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/28/1997 08:46:02
Christian Johansson wrote:

> > Yep, standard 1.2M floppy drives for PC should work on VS2000 (and on
> > uVAX-II BTW). I'm using TEAC-55FDGR (or something similiar), since I
> > didn't change anything on that drive, I'm quite sure that other brands
> > could/should work also.
>
> Wich cable in the VS2000 should you connect to the floppy, I have a
> VS2000 with an internal RD54. There is  one loose connector (just
> like the larger harddrive connector) with some
> tape on it in the box, could it be that one?
>
> This might be a good idea to add to the FAQ...
>
> //Thanks in advance
>  - Christian

The floppy signals come out from the same connector on the motherboard
that is used to connect a hard drive.  The floppy connector itself is
the other large connector on the hard drive cable.  There are a couple
things to watch out for:

1)  Plug orientation - you shouldn't really damage anything, but it
won't work if you get it wrong.  The pins on one side are all grounded.

2)  Drive ID - PCs always want their drives jumpered to ID 2.  The
VAXstation wants drive ID 1.  There should be a jumper on the drive to
change this.  It is often in a group of jumpers labelled DS1 through
DS4.

If everything works right the drive should be DUA2

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |