Subject: Re: Netscape 4.0b2
To: None <wonko@madness.tmok.com>
From: A. Sporner <asporner@eagle.ibc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/26/1997 07:17:28

> Jeff Thieleke drunkenly mumbled...
> >
> > > my experience with running Navigator on a linux box is as follows:
> > >
> > > i have a 386dx33 (no FPU) with 20M RAM that runs linux.  every version of
> > > Navigator from 2.x to 3.x (i haven't played with 4.x yet) failed to work on
> > > my linux box no matter what i did to it.  didn't matter what libs i had or
> > > whatever was suggested i do to make it work.  it eventually locked up the
> > > console to the point of my only route of escape was to telnet in from another
> > > machine and do a shutdown from there.  locked the console 100% of the time.
> > > usually got about 5-10 minutes of running time before it happened.  ok, got a
> >

> > I have seen this too on my NetBSD machine.  It only seems to happen when I
> > use the right mouse button operations, though.
>
> hmm, it was nothing that wierd.  locked up no matter what i did.  i noticed if
> i disabled Java & JavaScript it ran longer before it crashed, but still always
> crashed.  *sigh*
>
> -wonko

I have netscape 2.x and Linux 1.2.   I have no problems.  I have hit
sights where I will lock up the window manager though.  I have a strange
setup.  I have a Vaxstation/3100 running VMS as a X-server.  I run the
motif window manager from my Sequent and I telnet into the Linux box
(my communications gateway) to run Netscape.  Just think, all this from
my living room.  Maybe "wonko" has some competition?

Andy