Subject: How to install NetBSD onto a VAXstation 2000?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/23/1997 12:11:56
I have two VAXstation 2000s.   Currently, one is fully operational in
the hardware sense (I still need to spend more time on the other RD53).
It has some version of Ultrix (Ultrix-32 or 3.something), but I can't
boot it due to lack of a kernel image (no vmunix, genvmunix or anything
I could think of).  The root filesystem stuff is there, but /usr seems
empty (I found this by probing around with ultrixboot).

Anyways, it seems that my best chance of making the machine actually
useful is to install NetBSD.  However, I don't have a TK50 tape drive.
I don't even have a floppy drive (the RD53 takes the entire bay).

So, how can I put NetBSD on this?  The main method that is still
available to me is ethernet and mopd-linux.  I've also heard it may be
possible to connect a PC floppy drive, but I don't know where I would
write the floppies in the proper format.
I wouldn't like to have to search for a TK50 tape drive.  Even if I
found one for a reasonable price I have no other systems which could
write the tape.
Getting Ultrix to boot would probably simplify quite a few things.

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |