Subject: Re: x configuring...
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/27/2005 05:13:34
> one more question, just for clarification:

> is the term "multihead" more a generic term to any box having 2 or
> more monitors connected, regardless of how these are used and what
> they display (e.g. also mirroring the same image, why not siply with
> a Y-video-cable)?

It's a bit fuzzy, as I understand it.  To me, multihead refers,
etymologically speaking, to multiple monitors, but using it for two
monitors that always display the same thing (whether done with tricks
such as a splitter video cable or whether done by having two video
driver circuits) strikes me as stretching the term; I prefer to reserve
it for two separate video displays.  (I'm careful to avoid saying two
video cards, since it seems perfectly correct to call a machine with
two framebuffers on one physical card multiheaded.)

> or is it specific to a box where only one user (with all input
> devices such as keyboard(s), mouse... "belong to him") but the
> "desktop" spans all connected screens (either having available
> :0.0,:0.1,:0.2... or using xinerama or the like) and windows
> scattered all over?

To me, it's just multiple displays.  Whether they correspond to
independent sessions or not relevant to multiheadedness.

> is there a "correct[TM]" terminology for differentiating all the use
> cases in this area?

Perhaps, but if it's not as sketched above, I don't know it! :)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign