Subject: Re: status of threading bugs
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: None <segv@netctl.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/24/2005 00:45:56
On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 00:49:54 +0200
Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 04:11:14PM +0100, segv@netctl.net wrote:
> > Greetings, just out of interest did anyone manage to unravel the mystery of
> > why/how threading applications tend to completely freeze a running system?
>
> I could not find any open PRs describing symptoms similar than your
> description, nor have I seen this myself.
>
> I see threaded applications crashing regularily, due to local and in
> registers being cleared on syscall return (I'm slowly investigating this),
> but the rest of the system keeps going for me.
>
> Martin

Oh sorry, I didn't submit any PRs, I posted about the problem on this list a
few months ago or so and got the impression people were aware of the problem.

I'm going to submit a PR shortly then, this is the problem I was refering to:

Threaded applications (Firefox, Galeon, Konqueror, XMMS, etc) tend to hang,
this happens more frequently when I have some CPU intensive jobs running at the
same time, like 'build.sh'. The window where the application is running hangs
and does not respond to anything. Running 'kill <pid>' does not have any
effect, however running 'kill -9 <pid>' makes the CPU shoot up to 100% and a
few seconds later the whole system freezes completely.

Has anyone else experienced exactly the same symptoms?