Subject: Re: ultra5 & Xwindows
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Davide Zanon <d.zanon@ininito.it>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/08/2005 19:39:38
On Friday 06 May 2005 23:27, Michael wrote:
> Hello,

[...]

> > BTW, can I cross-compile XFree86 from xsrcdir?
>
> Not without a LOT of hassle. But even my 333MHz U10 builds a complete
> XFree86 4.5 in two or three hours via NFS.
>
> Build natively and after make World do make install on the U5 :)
> This will put everything to /usr/X11R6/

Ok, I've built it and everything went well...

> But beware - WindowMaker has (apparently) 64bit-related problems (
> colour gradients look /very/ funny, it's pretty crash-prone ), amiwm
> works fine, xfce4 too, even KDE3 works mostly ( but takes ages to build
> thanks to c++, templates and monstrous memory usage by the compiler )

This is the insane thing I'm trying to do now :) It's been building qt3-libs's
unixmake2.cpp for hours....

btw, now xclock and amsn work well. Thank you very much for the suggestions!

Now I have a screwed up keymap (like the one on my poor PowerBook) because
XFree86 wants
    Option     "Protocol"      "wskbd"
    Option     "Device"        "/dev/wskbd0"
Is there anything I can do about it?

> have fun
> Michael

I'm having, with this OS and your help :)
david