Subject: pseudo-device vlan as a solution to Re: setting ethernet MAC addresses on the Netra X1?
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Aditya <aditya@mighty.grot.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/29/2002 18:39:11
On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 05:08:51PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> ISTR something like "setenv local-mac-address? true" at the ok prompt,
> but I'm not sure whether that actually works right with NetBSD (never
> tried it myself, and indeed I'm not sure I have the variable name
> right).

it is the correct name, but apparently doesn't work with the tlp driver yet.

> interfaces.  If your switch has problems due to seeing the same MAC
> address on two different vlans, it's broken.  (Not that that's much
> consolation if you're faced with such a beast, admittedly.)

I have half a solution to this proposed by the switch vendor (HP Procurve
2524) -- use VLANs and port trunking with something like FEC.

Since I don't really require the full bandwidth of 2 100baseTX ports, I've
just configured it with VLANs and that seems to work very nicely. AFAIK there
is no FEC or equivalent interface "bonding" support in NetBSD (it's sort of
supported in FreeBSD via a mostly orphaned netgraph module).

BTW, "pseudo-device vlan" doesn't seem documented in -current anywhere, but
seems to work as advertised on my Netra X1!

Thanks,
Adi