Subject: Re: Could you tell me the exact installation of netbsd/sparc64 ?
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Eiji Ota <eiji@fs.fujitsu.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/12/2000 12:10:18

> > I wonder if it's OK that I copied miniroot-14P.fs into swap by
> > "dd if=miniroot-14P.fs of=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s1 bs=8192" because
> > miniroot-14P.fs was not included in the netbsd/sparc64 current
> > archived file. I found it somewhere(maybe for netbsd/sparc) and
> > used it.
>
> 14P.... That's -current, right?  What's probably going on is that you have
> an ELF miniroot but the kernel is still expecting a.out executables.  Try
> a 1.4.x miniroot.

Hi Eduardo,

I could boot from the netbsd/sparc64 snapshots by following
your advice.(I used miniroot-142.fs instead of it.)

	root device (default sd0a): sd0*
	dump device (default sd0b): none
	file system (default generic):
	root on sd0b
	mountroot: trying msdos...
	mountroot: trying cd9660...
	mountroot: trying nfs...
	mountroot: trying ffs...
	WARNING: clock gained 25 days -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
	root file system type: ffs
	init: copying out flags `-s' 3
	init: copying out path `/sbin/init' 11
	erase ^H, werase ^W, kill ^U, intr ^C
	Terminal type? [sun] ?
	tset: terminal type ? is unknown
	Terminal type? vt100
	Erase is backspace.
	(I)nstall or (U)pgrade? I
	Bad system call	        ~
	~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
	Welcome to the NetBSD/sparc 142 installation program.

	This program is designed to help you put NetBSD on your disk,
	in a simple and rational way.  You'll be asked several questions,
	and it would probably be useful to have your disk's hardware
	manual, the installation notes, and a calculator handy.

	As with anything which modifies your disk's contents, this
	program can cause SIGNIFICANT data loss, and you are advised
	to make sure your data is backed up before beginning the
	installation process.

	Default answers are displayed in brackets after the questions.
	You can hit Control-C at any time to quit, but if you do so at a
	prompt, you may have to hit return.  Also, quitting in the middle of
	installation may leave your system in an inconsistent state.

	Proceed with installation? [n] n
				       ~
Then I could mount two partitions.
# mount
root_device on / type ffs (local, read-only)
/dev/sd0a on /mnt type ffs (local, read-only)
~~~~~~~~~ The partition having tar files.
/dev/sd0d on /mnt2 type ffs (local)
~~~~~~~~~ The partition I want to use as root.

But I couldn't change the directory to /mnt2 to install sparc64
binaries(they are under /mnt).

# sh
# cd /mnt2
Bad system call - core dumped
#

> I will try to get a more up to date 32-bit kernel and bootloader up on the
> FTP site soon.

Should I wait for the latest binaries ?

Eiji