Re: slot-based crash! not SBusFPGA (Re: CG14 in 8-bit color)

Hello,

On Wed, 12 Jan 2022 17:07:24 +0000
David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Very random thoughts (if it shows up on another ss20)
> - Known hardware issue: Could slot 1 not be certified for
> framebuffers? - I vaguely recall way (way) back some, possibly SunOS
> 4, documentation that stated that a sun framebuffer would not work in
> some slots on a certain model, but it's been too long for me to
> remember details

I do not remember any such restrictions on the ss20, and I'm pretty
sure I had all sorts of CG6 variants in pretty much every slot, from
way back when I was writing the accel code for xf86-video-suncg6.
That said, I didn't have one in there in a while, been working on
cg14/sx instead.
I dimly remember (even) older machines having 'special' slots with no
DMA or somesuch, or being shared with AFX, like on the ss5, but that's
about it. All my 32bit Suns are sun4m, I'm pretty sure the restricted
slots were a sun4c thing and I didn't have one of these in ages.

> Anyway, great catch for what must have been an almost unbelievably
> frustrating issue :)

Indeed.
Romain mentioned moving cards around a lot, and the hardware is almost
30 years old - I wonder if some soldering pads on the sbus connector
are getting bad, or if there's just the right amount of crud in the
connector to cause occasional misfires.

have fun
Michael