Subject: NetBSD installation NIGHTMARE (I'm totaly lost).
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Laurent FAILLIE <l_faillie@yahoo.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/05/2005 01:57:38
Hello,

yesterday was a very bad day : when I went back to
home, I discovered that my SS5 system disk has died.

No problem I said : I'll install a new one with 2.0.2.
And the nightmare started :-(

1/ Trying floppy installation following installation
step from install.html
1.a/ I generated the 2 floppies on my Ultra 5 under
Solaris 8
=> No problem

1.b/ as my SS5 doesn't have a floppy, I got one from
my SS2.
=> No problem

2.c/ boot floppy w/ disk1 inside.
=> No problem

2.d/ selecting installation media
This procedure supports one of the following media:

1) cdrom
2) tape
3) floppy

Installation medium to load the additional utilities
from: 3

Ejecting floppy disk
Remove the boot disk from the floppy station and
insert the second disk of
the floppy installation set into the disk drive.

The question below allows you to specify the device
name of the floppy
drive.  Usually, the default device will do just fine.
Floppy device to load the installation utilities from
[/dev/rfd0a]:
Extracting installation utilities...
gzip: can't read stdin: Invalid argument
tar: End of archive volume 1 reached
tar: Unexpected EOF on archive file
tar: Sorry, unable to determine archive format.
Ejecting floppy disk

=> Doesn't work :-(

2/ Trying w/ tape.

2.a/ Again, I follow the procedure from install.html
On my Ultra5 / Solaris 8, I have put tapefile1,
tapefile2 and then all tgz from binary/sets using 'dd'
command as explained in the document.
=> No problem

2.b/ boot tape
=> "loaded data are not executable" replied SS5
monitor

3/ booting from floppy the selecting tape

Installation medium to load the additional utilities
from: 2

By default, the installation utilities are located in
the second tape file
on the NetBSD/sparc installation tape. In case your
tape layout is different,
choose the appropriate tape file number below.

Tape device to load the installation utilities from
[/dev/nrst0]:
Tape file number [2]:
Tape block size (use only if you know you need it):
Positioning tape...
Extracting installation utilities...
st0(esp0:0:4:0): no data found, requested size: 4
(decimal), data = 00 00 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 ca 00
gzip: can't read stdin: Undefined error: 0
tar: End of archive volume 1 reached
tar: Unexpected EOF on archive file
tar: Sorry, unable to determine archive format.
This procedure supports one of the following media:

I'm not able to netboot because I succeed only once to
configure Solaris as netboot server for my SS5. It was
under solaris7 and I wan't able anymore to netboot
since I've updated to Solaris8.

I'm not able to write miniroot on a local file system
as .. none of my other machines are using the same
disk type.

So ... what can I do ?

Best regards,

Laurent

PS: I realy need to boot again this machine because
all my network is down, I'm posting from an old P120
PC :-(

The misspelling master is on the Web.
   _________	100 % Dictionnary Free !
 /  Dico  / /	Pleins d'autres fautes sur
/________/ /	http://go.to/destroyedlolo
(#######( /	http://destroyedlolo.homeunix.org:8080
Quoi, des fautes d'orthographe! Pas possible ;-D.