Subject: Re: sh problems with 2.0.2
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/11/2005 17:53:30
Michael said:

>I've never done a native build on sparc, always cross-compiled either on
>sparc64 or macppc ( my only sparc box has faulty memory and processes
>that use a lot of memory would coredump randomly anyway, besides that it
>would take painfully long on a microSPARC II without L2-cache )

It may be a native build problem. A cross-built install will do a native
build at least once. After that, sh coredumps just building tools. An sh
built with "-g" will never coredump.

When sh does coredump it is usually in a GCC related directory.

I have tried different memory, different disks, different NFS servers for
the src tree (both Solaris and NetBSD)

It makes no difference. Netbsd 2.0.x and -current produce an sh that coredumps
while building tools. NetBSD 1.6.x does not have this problem. I am doing a
second build of 1.6.x now.

Also, this same box has the "Bad pAUX_base" problem when running 2.x or
-current, but never seen on 1.6.x

Since I can't get an sh built with "-g" to coredump, there is no interest in
that problem, and the same goes for "Bad pAUX_base".

If I want to use this SS5 for production use, then it will run 1.6.x.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com
		<http://www.rmkhome.com/>