Subject: Re: scsi disk troubles
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/28/2005 21:45:16
On 28.02.05, 20:29:43, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Derkjan de Haan wrote:
>

> >I am using a 6-disk Multipack with a Sparcstation 20. This Multipack
> >contains various non-Sun disks, mostly originating from pc-based graphical
> >workstations. These disks worked flawlessly with Solaris 8 and 9, but
> >disks 5 and 6 (see dmesg output) aren't usable with NetBSD. They are
> >recognised at boot, but no device special files are created. If I manually
> >do '/dev/MAKEDEV all' nothing happens either. I tried formatting them with
> >Solaris and resetting the SCSI modepages to default values, but that made
> >no difference.
> >Any ideas as to what might be wrong here ? I must admit that they report a
> >rather curious geometry, but would that be a reason for them not to work ?
>
> 	Have you tried ./MAKEDEV sd5 sd6

That should "just work". Creation of the special files in /dev/
has nothing to do with detection of the devices at boot time.

Someone[tm] decided that NetBSD/sparc would rarely be used with
more than 5 disks, so by default only device nodes up to sd4 are
created. But specifying to MAKEDEV that you want sd5 and sd6, too,
works.

target "all_md" in MAKEDEV (called by "all") only creates sd0
through sd4.

Don't mess with the disks themselves, they are probably fine.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: May the Source be with you
		-- Greg Earle