Subject: Re: What are you using port-sparc for?
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/30/2004 09:54:17
> My bet thet it was the ross-cypress (SM30 ??) probably THE slowest 4m
> around. It was the original dual cpu on the 600smp.

If I recall correctly, a number of 4/600's shipped with the SM100 - a dual
40Mhz SPARCv7 board.  My 4/630 (which is my mail and web server) used to
have an early revision one (it now has 2 twin 125 HS's in).  See:

  http://mbus.sunhelp.org/modules/index.htm

and:

  http://mbus.sunhelp.org/modules/501-1301.jpg

for the SM100 board (and its single CPU sibling).  I'm not sure that they
take the "title" of slowest 4M - wouldn't the original SM40 at 33Mhz (in
the Sparc 10) be slower?

While I'm here, I also use a Cycle-5 fitted IPC as my firewall/bridge.
This is an IPC fitted with a Sparc 5 compatible board (from Cycle Computer
Corporation - now defunct).  I used to use a Sparc 20 as my main desktop
until a few months ago, but now I mainly use an Alpha (PC164LX).  I do
have an Ultra 60 as my work desktop though - does that count as a real
sparc?

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/